Friday, December 24, 2010

project: sexy holiday thongs

This Christmas Eve just got sexy.

I decided to shake things up a bit with the gift giving this year. My Knitting Lingerie Style book has been sitting on my shelf for years, and recently I decided to open it up, and knit two very close friends a thong.

Yes. A hand-knit thong.

I wasn't exactly sure how this was going to work out, but I went to Nina's as a start and picked out some super soft, 100% silk yarn for the first one (note: still searching for the tag with all of the yarn info on it).

thong #1

I just used the Babydoll thong pattern in the book, and made a ton of adjustments along the way. There was no picking up stitches along the edge, but rather using a crochet hook, a basic double crochet was done to finish of the siding. I opted against a 3/4" wide back strap, and took three strands of yarn and braided them to create the strap.

I followed the pattern for the waistband, and the cast on stitches they told me to do for the first friend's waist, and it came out HUGE. Like, four inches too big. So I found my elastic thread, and from the inside ran the thread along the top and bottom part of the waist (cutting the thread at her correct waist length to ease in all the excess). Then I found some sexy black ribbon to weave into the middle eyelet portion of the waistband; the colors turned out to be super hot!

Since I had made the first, I knew exactly what adjustments needed to be done for the second. Her yarn was purchased at Loopy Yarns, and is a Berroco Seduce yarn in the Dream colorway (all entirely too appropriate for this project).

thong #2

I casted on a smaller number of stitches for the waistband of this second thong, and it turned out to be a better fit where I didn't need to sneak in elastic thread into the waistband. What really surprised me about this yarn is that the color was actually variegated. I didn't know that when purchasing, but it starts off darker on top and then lighter down to...well...you know where.

I'm really happy with how these turned out, and so were the two ladies! A really easy, quick knit that I will definitely make more of.

One of my students was inspired by me knitting lingerie where she decided to knit some for her knitwear final, using the full Babydoll pattern listed in the book. The lace pattern for the top got a little jumbled, but for her first hand-knit garment, it deserved a
n A!


There is only one song that can combine the fact it is Christmas eve and this project specifically.

Hope Santa is good to you this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment