Saturday, December 25, 2010

project: ruffle rock star scarf

Happy birthday, Jesus!

Today, my holiday will consist of a trip to the beach and a movie later tonight (most likely True Grit). Somewhere in between there, I will finish up Karma's dog sweater to bring back home to Chicago tomorrow night. I'm sure she needs it after the loads of snow that's been lending itself to a white Christmas.

Running on this hand dyed yarn theme, I found that I had three skeins of hand dyed cotton, all colored over three years ago. One of the skeins I named Rock Star, and decided to make the Ruffle Scarf out of my Scarf Style book.

The yarn was the Inca Cotton purchased from Dharma Trading Company. I used fiber reactive dyes, with the cold water process, in the colors Fuschia, Cocoa Brown, and Chartreuse. The fiber reactive dyes take to the cotton incredibly well, with a vibrant finish. The Inca Cotton is super soft and did not pill or halo throughout the process.

The scarf was being made for my sister, who is a fellow crafts lady and wears scarfs on a regular basis. I thought it was a clever idea and a chance for me to make a scarf (which I rarely ever make).



Until I realized the other day, after she opened it and said she liked it, I had made her that same scarf pattern three years ago.

Ugh.

Kinda bummed since I was so excited about this scarf being made with hand dyed yarn, and turning out super cute. And, I mean, it did turn out super cute and I was proud of myself for following through with a scarf. And my sister insisted that she loves it and will wear both of them.

I need to get a picture of her wearing it, so you can see how it twists and drapes - so rock star!

In honor of baby Jesus, I made a Christmas/holiday inspired playlist. By far, the last two songs are staples for me at this time of year, and are put on repeat all. day. long.

I encourage you to do the same, and to turn on 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TBS.

Football? What's a football??


playlist: ruffle rock star scarf


"come saturday" - pains of being pure at heart
"artificial snow" - atlas sound
"in the new year" - the walkmen
"all yr songs" - diamond rings
"something to do with my hands" - her space holiday
"soak it up" - houses
"hearts of love" - crocodiles
"gift" - firebird band
"sister winter" - sufjan stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment