Sunday, April 18, 2010

project: shirt dress

The spring cleaning bug has bit me! As I am still unpacking/organizing the apartment, I keep coming across old projects that are screaming to be finished. I was going through one of my fabric tubs on Wednesday and came across the pattern- with the fabric already cut out- for this shirt dress.

Back story on this shirt dress: while I was teaching at IADT in Seattle, the Patterndrafting 1 class I taught was required to pattern a shirt dress that they would in turn sew in Clothing Construction 1. I kept getting complaints about how I didn't have a sample for them to reference while making the pattern for the dress, so I broke down and made a pattern and found some cotton fabric in one of my fabric tubs. I had my TA at the time cut it all out for me (and I think she did some patterning too), and in a bag it went, never to be completed.

But it's Spring! I saw the bag of fabric and thought- hey, I can fit into this dress! So this past Thursday I went to work! I also found some buttons in my stash that totally match! This is great! I used stashed fabric, buttons and thread for this project. I feel so thrifty.

The dress is a little bigger than I thought, and I am still considering putting some side pockets in. I don't think I pre-washed the fabric (a big no-no) so here's still hoping that it will shrink!


The other project I finally finished is my Entrelac Scarf. It still needs to be blocked, but I am totally ready to rock this scarf in the fall! I think my next knitted project is going to be starting this lacey tank top that I purchased yarn for back in 2005, and have attempted to knit twice now. Keep your fingers crossed that third time is a charm!












playlist: shirt dress

"ode to divorce" - regina spektor
"last song" - matt pond pa
"my night with the prostitute from marseille" - beirut
"meet me by the water" - saturday looks good to me
"campfire kansas" - the get up kids
"don't haunt this place" - the rural alberta advantage
"canopies and grapes" - emmy the great
"everything has changed" - lucinda williams

No comments:

Post a Comment