Sunday, April 25, 2010

project: baby socks

So I'm a little premature with posting this baby sock project (ZING!), but I know I will have the second sock done this evening. I'm totally loving knitting baby socks, because I can finish a set in a day, rather than a month (as it would take me that long for regular adult socks).

My friend Angie is due to have a baby girl this June, and I had this scrap Cascade Fixation yarn from 2008 when I knit a pair of baby socks for newborn Nora James. Cascade Fixation is an interesting yarn because it uses cotton as a primary fiber, but also sneaks in some spandex! It is a great yarn for baby socks especially, since you don't have to worry as much about the socks falling off the baby's feet. This was an easy project with all of the supplies ready to go! Now I just need to finish the other sock, make a little card, and send it off to Seattle. One thing at a time- finish the second sock today...

While I have actually semi-completed one sock so far, I have really been all over the place this week. While I have been working on the baby socks, I have also been knitting that tank top I described in the last post with the yarn from 2005. Man, the pattern for that Caprice tank by Rowan yarn stresses me out! It is definitely not a mindless knit, and if this tank does not go through this time around- I'm done and giving away the yarn. The tank itself is really cute, but in my opinion, the pattern is written terribly. Major frustrations.

On top of the two knitting projects, I have also had this grand idea to make a dress for this upcoming Friday's Windy City Soul Club. Again, I've been doing really good about using up what fabric or yarn is in my stash. I came across this polka dot metallic/silk blend the other day while cleaning, and thought it would be really cute to use in the top half of a 1950's inspired dress. I brought the fabric into my class to get some opinions on coordinating a fabric, and the decision amongst the students was to find an ivory satin to match the ivory polka dots in the metallic fabric. I was a little hesitant, only because I am really pale, and didn't know how well ivory will look against my currently winter-hibernated legs. But I do have a pair of dark shoes that I think will go with the dress, and if it doesn't work, then I need to wear a pair of tights (which means it will then be a winter holiday dress).

I bought the ivory fabric yesterday, and have the pattern pretty much completed. I would love to start cutting it out and sewing it up this evening as well, so I can maybe have someone fit it for me on Tuesday. It's overall a really simple design, it's just finding the time to sew during the week. Again, this is really ambitious of me to try and make this dress in a week, but hey, I made a shirt dress in a day, right??



playlist: baby socks

"gigantic" - the pixies
"lean woman blues" - t.rex
"new kind of kick" - the cramps
"walk a mile" - holly golightly
"i'm so free" - lou reed
"when i'm with you" - best coast
"jezebel" - reverend horton heat
"the kkk took my baby away" - the ramones
"breakout a-town" - julie ruin

I was kinda going for a lo-fi theme with this playlist...I don't know why. Blame it on the weather?

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I know those socks :) I can't wait to see the dress....it'll be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete