Sunday, April 4, 2010

project: coasters

I have moved into my new apartment!

It was a rough day of moving, and thankfully I had a team of three strong men helping me haul of my stuff up to the third floor. And no one made fun of all my sewing/craft/yarn supplies! Now it's just a matter of organizing it all...

Thursday was the big moving day, so by Friday I could go to Whole Foods and get the place filled up with some yummy, organic goodness. A few months back, while cleaning out my grandpa's house, my mom came across a set of three vintage Pyrex mixing bowls that used to be my grandma's. Naturally, being the Pyrex lover that I am, I got very excited and she said I could have them!

This is one of the bowls, filled with some fresh strawberries:


Amongst all of the grocery shopping and unpacking, I found my old coasters from Buy Olympia. I think I bought them back in 2006, so again, it was time to make some new ones. I found some scrap Kaffe Fasset and Amy Butler fabric from when I worked at the Quilting Loft in Seattle (hey ladies!). The idea came instantly, how I wanted to leave the edges raw, and also using a random "crazy quilt" inspired stitch to hold the layers together.
The three layers included: top layer was a printed cotton, middle layer of mid-weight batting, bottom layer also a printed cotton. I made myself a set of six, all being reversible. You know, so I can pick a coaster depending on my mood and the glass that will be resting on it...

I'm hoping that these coasters won't get as stained as my other set. At least with these, I could wash them if they started to dirty. All together, it took me about an hour to complete- start to finish!


Here is a picture of my "will work for yarn" mug resting on a coaster:


The coasters are great, and then last nite, I finally wove in all of the ends of my Smarch Lady Sweater so I could wear it today for Easter dinner. I had my mom take some pictures of the final product:



















The sweater still needs to be blocked, which is why the sleeves are curling a little bit. I'm so happy I got to wear it at least once before the weather turns super warm! I'm hoping to take some better pictures when the flowers start to bloom.

playlist: coasters

"the blues ft. nina persson" - primary 1
"parachutes (funeral song)" - mates of state
"ramblin' man" - isobel campbell and mark lanegan
"the boy with the arab strap" - belle and sebastian
"rotten love" - levy
"true affection" - the blow
"lily two" - matt pond pa
"tightrope" - yeasayer
"with arms outstretched" - rilo kiley

2 comments:

  1. Rad Sweater- Great color and silhouette! Congratz on the new apartment! Lookin' forward to seeing pix!! xoxo....ms.sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I already commented on this?!? Anyways, super fab sweater, and I love how you write :)

    ReplyDelete