Thursday, March 11, 2010

project: spring skirts

HORRAY FOR SPRING!!

The weather has taken a turn for the awesome! Went on a long walk last nite with Karma, and it felt so nice outside. The sun has been shining, and I even pulled out my Sperrys today! No more snow boots! Woohoo!

First, a Smarch Lady Sweater update! My lace repeat is coming along, although I tend to throw a yarn over into the mix when it's not supposed to be there. There's something that just feel so right about yarn overs...


The goal for this weekend is to finish the body lace repeat and the hem. That way, I can work on the sleeves for next week, and hopefully wear it by the end of the month! I also just finished the second of four skeins! Half way there!

I took my class on a field trip last week to Hancock Fabrics, and found some cotton prints that seemed perfect for some spring skirts!

While shopping at J.Crew last month (you know, when it was 12 degrees outside, yet all of the new spring clothes were out...the clothes we wouldn't be able to wear for another three months...), I took a liking to these simple, high wasted dirndle skirts. They weren't lined, plain cotton fabric, and also $59. This is why we have knock-offs.

So I made myself a couple of plain skirt patterns (this is also me proving to my patternmaking students that there is a reason why they take my class) and got sewing today!




I started with the zebra print, which is actually a charcoal colored strip against a dusty rose background. I had the idea to gather the print, and attach it to a solid (black) yoke. The fabric is pretty thin, and I'm not a fan of synthetic fabrics, so I am using muslin as a lining. It has added fullness to the gathers, but I don't think it will be too much.

I was so all over the place today when sewing this skirt, that I completely forgot to leave the left side open for a zipper. That's on tomorrow's list of things to do: black zipper. It's still too chilly out to wear the skirt during the day, but will be ready for the sun soon!

As far as the blue and red floral print, I made a basic flare skirt pattern to use. Maybe running some red ribbon through the top waist area? Not sure yet. But ideas are brewing!

Oh- all of my skirts also have pockets. I am a firm believer that every woman's skirts or casual dresses should have pockets. That's one thing I do love about Banana Republic and J.Crew designs! They got us gals figured out!


playlist: spring skirts

"ring ring" - sleigh bells
"he was worse than the needle he gave you" - the delta mirror
"the last drop" - the joy formidable
"my life" - jj
"2080" - yeasayer
"titus adronicus" - titus adronicus
"range life" - pavement
"banshee beat" - animal collective
"cheated hearts" - yeah yeah yeahs
"the first eviction notice" - the lawrence arms

No comments:

Post a Comment