Tuesday, March 16, 2010

project: dinosaur tail

This past weekend, I was asked by some friends of mine, who run the Tympanic Theater Company, to create a dinosaur tail for them to use in their upcoming production of Ozma and Harriet.

First off, this was the picture I was left to work with:

I'm so thankful that Dan added colored details!

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda just went for it when it comes to not creating a pattern. I knew I wanted a dart at the top waist, to help hold the tail out from the butt. Other than that, I just cut away. It also took 5 bags of fiber fill to hold its shape the way you see it below:


And here is an up close of the dart on the top:


Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out! I might go back to it tomorrow and add some brown cross lines along the yellow bottom to add some depth and texture. I hope it fits the actor well; make sure you come see the the show! It opens March 25th!


Last but not least, a Smarch Lady Sweater update, entitled: LOOK MA! NO NEEDLES!!

I totally finished up the gull lace repeat on the body of the sweater today, and also added the hem border! So excited! I'm about two days behind schedule, but tomorrow I will start on the sleeves. Oh- and I only messed up on the lace repeat 3 times! Woohoo! I like to think that an extra yarn over here or there adds character. Only two weeks to go before the month is over, and it is starting to get warmer out...oh man the pressure to finish this is ON.


playlist: dinosaur tail

"40 day dream" - edward sharpe & the magnetic zeroes
"jeepster" - t.rex
"emblem of the world" - dirty projectors
"collector" - here we go magic
"i live for that look" - dinosaur jr
"nicholas prefers dinosaurs" - ghosts & vodka
"oh my god" - ida maria
"house of the rising sun" - the animals
"salesman at the day of the parade" - rogue wave
"the sporting life" - the decemberists

I thought it would be fun to include some dinosaur themed songs into this playlist. I'm a nerd like that, and I haven't listened to T.Rex or Dinosaur Jr in quite some time!

And for those of you who didn't pick up on this- there is a link posted that will take you directly to the playlist for your listening pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment