Tuesday, June 8, 2010

project: nikki's birthday hat

A few years back, I knit my friend Nikki a hat from some lovely Noro yarn. When I moved back to Chicago this past winter, I asked Nikki where the hat I made her was, and why she wasn't wearing it.
Here's the story: apparently it got left outside in the snow, and her (not knowing the properties of wool) put the hat in the dryer to, well, dry it.

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

After being slightly heartbroken and then explaining the properties of wool and how they have scales on their fibers so that leads them to felt when being wet and agitated, Nikki got it. And I love Nikki, she's a best friend and a part of the Dream Team, so for this year's birthday gift, I decided to knit her another hat.
This hat is the same pattern as my Mariposa hat, only using Manos del Uruguay yarn. I believe I purchased this yarn at Weaving Works in Seattle a few years back (again- using up the stash!). The colors seemed right for Nikki, and I know she enjoys the variegation of color in hats. While taking a break from my market bag (which I finished last nite, btw), I whipped up this hat.

I finally saw Nikki this past weekend while we were meeting up with the girls and gave her the hat. As the nite went on, we decided to have a photo shoot with the hat:


Here is Kayla wearing the hat


And Carrie wearing the hat

And, finally, Nikki wearing the hat. Can you sense the anticipation for winter to come???


Next post: logan square market bag!


playlist: nikki's birthday hat


"let the cool goddess rust away" - clap your hands say yeah!
"can you tell" - ra ra riot
"lost coastlines" - okkervil river
"heart it races" - architecture in helsinki
"yeah yeah" - matt & kim
"ambling alp" - yeasayer
"let's go surfing" - the drums
"whirring" - the joy formidable
"10:1" - rogue wave

No comments:

Post a Comment