Thursday, May 13, 2010

project: circular knitting needle organizer

Last week, I was attacked by my circular knitting needles.

While I was on the hunt for my size 9 16" circulars to start a hat, I got lost in the tangled web of circular knitting needles. I had been tossing all of them into a ziploc bag to keep them all together and "organized," but this wasn't going to be acceptable any longer.

When I finished class on Tuesday, I realized that I had no plans for the afternoon/evening. This would be the only afternoon for the rest of the week that I had free, so I was going to take advantage of it. I decided that I would make a circular knitting needle organizer. I went to the fabric store, bought some calico fabric, drew a quick sketch of what I wanted my organizer to look like, and got sewing!

My first mistake was not drawing a technical sketch of how I wanted everything to be finished. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and the main reason for that was because I was working from a design that was in my head. So I cut the binding wrong, but made it work somehow. I did decided to back the main floral fabric with muslin to add some stability. Another thing I would have done different is to put two small tabs at the top to hang the organizer, not one long strip of fabric.

The best part about this project was slipping all of the various needles into their designated size slots! That and hanging it on the wall. It fits perfect right next to my window, and I can't wait to get my yarn racks made to place right next to them on the wall. It feels good to be getting organized!

Oh, and the last thing I would like to share is a picture of the Mucho Margarita Cupcakes I made for FD221's Seis de Mayo party last week. Hands down, the best cupcakes I ever decorated...and tasted. And yes, they were vegan. Yum.




playlist: circular knitting needle organizer

"stay close" - delorean
"mouthwash" - kate nash
"friends with lofts" - netherfriends
"stillness is the move" - dirty projectors
"angel echoes" - four tet
"she comes alive" - baby monster
"life magazine" - cold cave
"rough gem" - islands
"antichrist television blues" - arcade fire

1 comment: